Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Onward and Upward

Moving has got to be one of the worst things in the world. There is nothing that truly compares to the grueling work that you are subjected to when packing up your closest possessions. This summer I've moved twice- from college to home and from home back to college. The first time I moved I literally threw everything into boxes. It was finals week and I had to be out 24 hours after my last test. As someone who gets stressed in timed situations I was definitely not in the mood to organize.
I justified my actions by the fact that I had a completely free summer ahead of me and would have time to organize when I got home. Unfortunately, as all good procrastinators will tell you, time seemed to fly by. I worked at a summer camp Sunday night through friday afternoon and my weekend consisted of sleeping, sleeping, hanging out with friends, filling my car up with gas and sleeping. There was really only a couple times that I truly tried to fix some of the messy boxes that I had unceremoniously dumped in my bedroom.
Fortunately summer camp ended two weeks before I was due back at Tarleton. This meant that I had all that time to pack. During that week I attempted to organize but found out about halfway through that the only thing I was doing was moving the stuff from one cluttered box to another.
My parents left on Thursday to help my sister, Kathryn settle into her new dorm (widdle freshman!) and  so I had the house to myself for three whole days. Thank the Lord Almighty, Tom Bergeron and all the meerkats in the world that I had that time and space to myself. I moved everything I was taking back to college OUT of my room and finally had the time and patience to clean and organize everything that was staying.
I stayed up till about 5 in the morning the day before I left finishing laundry, then slept for four hours, loaded up the car and headed out. Luckily it's only a two hour drive and I kept myself alive by chugging coffee like it was living water and blaring my Veggie Tales soundtrack.
When I got there I got acquainted with my new apartment. I'm sharing it with my roommate from last year, Shelbey, but this time we each get our own rooms. As juniors in college it's probably something we deserve by now...
The other girls that were living there were not quite moved out so there stuff was dumped into one corner of the living room. I quickly moved all of my stuff in- I've watched too many episodes of Special Victims Unit to feel comfortable leaving both my car and my front door unlocked for an extended period of time.
Once everything was in I crashed. Spread out my sleeping bag and crashed. The amount of sleep I had had in the last few days had not been good to say the least, and I wasn't about to unpack everything on an empty tank. Naps are glorious. I'll probably talk more about them later, because I do believe that they may be the only reason that I'm still alive at this point.
So there I was- with a room full of boxes, sleeping on the flood because my car isn't big enough to fit a mattress in it.
Like I said earlier... moving is one of the worst things in the whole entire world.

No comments:

Post a Comment